Have you ever heard of sushi bake? It’s an excellent fashionable potluck dish impressed by sushi. Basically it’s a deconstructed California roll, layered and baked in a casserole. Every part will get heat and creamy and also you scoop it up into crispy sheets of roasted seaweed and prime it off with cucumber and avocado. It’s SO good. For those who love California rolls, you’ll love sushi bake. It’s savory, creamy, and tremendous satisfying.
Easy methods to make sushi bake
- Make: Take the time to make sushi rice. You may simply use plain cooked quick grain rice, however taking the time so as to add vinegar, sugar, and salt to make sushi rice will take your sushi bake to a complete different stage.
- Unfold: Unfold the sushi rice right into a oven protected dish and sprinkle with some furikake.
- Combine: In a bowl, combine up some shredded chopped crab with cream cheese and Kewpie mayo after which unfold it on prime of the rice layer. Sprinkle on a bit extra furikake.
- Bake: Pop the sushi bake into the oven and bake till it begins to brown and bubble and is heated via.
- Take pleasure in: Take away from the oven and if desired, drizzle with further kewpie mayo and sriracha. Take pleasure in scooped on to roasted seaweed snacks with cucumber and avocado.
What to serve with sushi bake
In truth sushi bake is a full meal inside itself however in the event you’re in search of some extras, attempt these:
- Tamagoyaki as a result of who doesn’t love candy and savory rolled eggs
- No Japanese impressed meal is full with out miso soup!
- A lil salad with extremely addictive Japanese dressing can be a beautiful aspect
- Spicy, creamy, addictive prawn tempura in chili mayo
- Tremendous fluffy, jiggly Japanese cheesecake for dessert
What’s sushi bake?
Sushi bake got here round as a substitute for sushi rolls: all of the flavors of inventive sushi rolls layered and baked right into a heat and comforting scrumptious casserole, meant to be scooped into little sheets of roasted seaweed.
Like most casseroles, it’s a house fashion dish meant to be shared with family and friends. It’s simpler than rolling a lot of rolls and the scooping and sharing makes it enjoyable and interactive. It’s infinitely customizable which means there’s a sushi bake on the market for everybody!
- Sushi rice – Koshihikari is the usual number of rice used for sushi and may be very simply discovered on-line and in grocery shops. It’s a brief and stubby rice that’s that’s naturally sticky. It cooks up superbly and is ideal for sushi bake.
- Crab or seafood – You may go together with both imitation crab (which isn’t crab in any respect however fish!), canned crab, or recent crab. Because the crab is baked, I counsel simply going with no matter is best. For me, meaning both canned or imitation crab. For those who’re not a fan of crab, you may positively used any form of seafood that you just love – like salmon or tuna or prawns!
- Kewpie mayo and cream cheese – the cream cheese combined up with the crab will get melty and creamy and is so decadent and addictive. Kewpie mayo provides a refined wealthy and candy mayo taste that’s tangy from the rice vinegar.
- Furikake – Furikake, in the event you haven’t heard of it, is rice seasoning. Consider it as a mixture of seaweed and sesame seeds and different tasty bits that individuals sprinkle onto bowls of rice to decorate them up a bit. It’s tremendous addictive and tastes wonderful on the whole lot: rice, noodles, pasta, popcorn, eggs, you identify it, furikake makes it higher. You could find furikake at Asian grocery shops or on-line.
What sort of seaweed do I want?
Seasoned roasted Korean laver seaweed snacks is the most effective seaweed to eat with sushi bake. You’ll see them in little foil packs bought within the snack part. They promote them at Asian grocery shops, Costco, Entire Meals, Dealer Joe’s, on-line, basically all over the place! Roasted seaweed snacks look somewhat bit completely different than the everyday seaweed used for sushi – barely extra translucent with a looser weave. You can too simply use common toasted seaweed lower into rectangular strips however I really like the crispy crunch of roasted seaweed snacks.
Sushi bake variations
Sushi bake variations are limitless! Attempt these:
- Miso salmon – as a substitute of crab, use the equal quantity of drained canned salmon. Combine in 1-2 tablespoons of miso.
- Tuna salad – as a substitute of crab, use the equal quantity of drained canned tuna. Combine in some sliced scallions.
- Spicy – combine in 1-2 tablespoons of sriracha into the crab combine and prime with an additional drizzle of sriracha when consuming.
- Tacky – add an additional layer of shredded cheddar cheese on prime earlier than baking.
Easy methods to serve sushi bake
Sushi bakes are eaten type of like somewhat taco with roasted seaweed snack being the tortilla and the sushi bake being the filling. Simply scoop a little bit of sushi bake onto a chunk of roasted seaweed snack and pop it in your mouth for the right chew.
Usually you simply put a dish of heat sushi bake within the heart of the desk and everybody can scoop a bit onto their plate, wrap it in seaweed and eat it. You can too slice it into little pre-portioned slices that you would be able to simply transfer onto roasted seaweed.